Univ Rennes, Inria, CNRS, IRISA
Leader of the Myriads research team
Campus universitaire de Beaulieu
263 Avenue du Général Leclerc – Bât 12
35042 Rennes cedex
Tel: +33 2 99 84 25 20
I am the coordinator of the H2020 FogGuru project which aims at training the next generation of European Fog computing experts. We design application resource management technologies, middlewares for easing the development of innovative applications and application blueprints, thereby providing tangible benefits to the European citizens.
Main research topics
The DiPET project investigates distributed data stream processing on fog and edge systems via transprecise computing.
HARNESS (2012-2016): heterogeneous cloud platforms
ConPaaS (2010-2017): integrated runtime for elastic cloud applications
Contrail (2010-2013): an open-source Cloud computing platform
CloudTPS (2008-2012): scalable transactional data stores
Resource provisioning (2008-2012) for complex Web applications in the Cloud
Decentralized Wikipedia (2008-2011): a better way to host Wikipedia
AdapPF: Self-Adaptive Scrape Interval for Monitoring in Geo-Distributed Cluster Federations. Chih-Kai Huang and Guillaume Pierre. In Proceedings of the IEEE ISCC symposium, July 2023.
Acala: Aggregate Monitoring for Geo-Distributed Cluster Federations. Chih-Kai Huang and Guillaume Pierre. In Proceedings of the ACM SAC Conference, March 2023.
VioLinn: Proximity-aware Edge Placement with Dynamic and Elastic Resource Provisioning. Klervie Toczé, Ali J. Fahs, Guillaume Pierre and Simin Nadjm-Tehrani. ACM Transactions on Internet of Things, In press.
Good Shepherds Care For Their Cattle: Seamless Pod Migration in Geo-Distributed Kubernetes. Paulo Souza Junior, Daniele Miorandi and Guillaume Pierre. In Proceedings of the ICFEC Conference, May 2022.
LivingFog: Leveraging fog computing and LoRaWAN technologies for smart marina management (experience paper). Davaadorj Battulga, Mozhdeh Farhadi, Mulugeta Tamiru, Li Wu and Guillaume Pierre. In Proceedings of the ICIN Conference, March 2022.
Towards automated privacy compliance checking of applications in Cloud and Fog environments. Mozhdeh Farhadi, Guillaume Pierre and Daniele Miorandi. In Proceedings of the FiCLOUD conference, Aug 2021.
Current and former PhD students
Govind KP (since 2023, co-supervised with Romain Rouvoy)
Khaled Arsalane (since 2022)
Chih-Kai Huang (since 2021)
Paulo Souza Junior (2018-2022, co-supervised with Daniele Miorandi, now at Ansys)
Hamid Reza Arkian (2018-2021, co-supervised with Erik Elmroth, now at Darewise)
Mozhdeh Farhadi (2018-2021, co-supervised with Daniele Miorandi, now at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
Mulugeta Ayalew Tamiru (2018-2021, co-supervised with Erik Elmroth and Johan Tordsson, now at Wise)
Ali Jawad Fahs (2017-2020, now at ActiveEon)
Arif Ahmed (2016-2020, now at Ericsson)
Anca Iordache (2013-2016, now at Docker)
Wei Zhou (2007-2012, now at Ingenovis Health)
Dejun Jiang (2007-2012, now at the Chinese Academy of Sciences)
Guido Urdaneta (2006-2010, co-supervised with Maarten van Steen, now at Google)
Michal Szymaniak (2002-2007, co-supervised with Maarten van Steen, now at Google)
Swaminathan Sivasubramanian (2002-2007, co-supervised with Maarten van Steen, now at Amazon Web Services)
My teaching takes place at ISTIC, the department of Computer Science and Electronics of the University of Rennes 1.
Cloud and Network Infrastructures
I was the coordinator of the international Master's program on Cloud and Network Infrastructures from 2013 to 2020. This program – delivered entirely in English – prepares future professionals and researchers with an advanced course program on Cloud Computing and related technologies, together with a unique hands-on experience in technological innovation and entrepreneurship. The new coordinator is Cédric Tedeschi.
- 2023: EuroSys 2023, IEEE IC2E 2023 (PC co-chair), IEEE/ACM CCGrid 2023 (co-chair of the Future Compute Continuum track), MASCOTS 2023, IEEE/ACM SEC 2023, WSCC 2023.
- 2022: TheWebConf 2022, IEEE/ACM CCGrid 2022, ICFEC 2022, IEEE IC2E 2022, IEEE JCC 2022, MiddleWedge 2022.
- 2021: TheWebConf 2021, IEEE ICFEC 2021, ACM Middleware 2021, IEEE JCC 2021, WEEE 2021, VNI 2021, IEEE AINet 2021, SIGNIS 2021
- 2020: TheWebConf 2020 (co-chair of the Intelligent Systems and Infrastructure track), ALGOCLOUD 2020 (PC co-chair), IEEE IPDPS 2020, IEEE/ACM CCGrid 2020.
- 2019: TheWebConf 2019, IEEE/ACM CCGRID 2019, ACM/IFIP Middleware 2019, Conpas 2019, InterCloud-HPC 2019.
- 2018: IEEE ICDCS 2018 (vice-chair of the short paper track), ICACNI 2018, ISORC 2018, CloudCom 2018, UCC 2018, mF2C 2018.
- 2017: DADS track of SAC 2017, ISFEC 2017, ISPDC 2017, CloudCom 2017, HotWeb 2017.
- 2016: IC2E 2016, ICPP 2016, DADS track of SAC 2016, ComPas 2016 (PC chair of the systems track), CloudDP 2016 (co-chair), CloudCom 2016, ScalCom 2016.
- 2015: DADS track of SAC2015, IC2E 2015, AINA 2015, CSCS20-2015, CloudDP 2015, VTDC 2015, HotWeb 2015.
- 2014: Middleware 2014, IC2E 2014, DADS track of SAC 2014, MobileCloud 2014, ComPAS 2014, CloudDP 2014.
- 2013: CCGrid 2013, CFSE 2013, IC2E 2013, SAC 2013, DAIS 2013, CSCS19, CloudDP 2013, ISPDC 2013, ORMaCloud 2013, BigDataCloud 2013, DIHC 2013.
- 2012: EuroSys 2012, CloudCP 2012 (PC co-chair), DAIS 2012, GreenMetrics 2012, EIDWT 2012, BDMC 2012.
- 2011: CloudCP 2011 (PC co-chair), HotCloud 2011, DAIS 2011, CFSE 2011, Euro-Par 2011 (vice-chair of Topic 8: "Distributed Systems and Algorithms"), Cluster 2011, GreenMetrics 2011.
- 2010: MobiCloud 2010 , CloudComp 2010 , SRDS 2010 , ICCCN 2010 , DAIS 2010 , EuroSys 2010 shadow PC , WWW 2010, FeBID 2010, CoEMTA 2010.
- 2009: AAA-IDEA 2009, WWW 2009 (vice-chair of the 'Performance and Scalability' track), ICCCN 2009, DAMAP 2009, GreenMetrics 2009, USETIM 2009, Euro-Par 2009 (local chair of Topic 8: Distributed Systems and Algorithms).
- 2008: WWW 2008.
- Member of the ACM/IFIP Middleware Steering Committee.
- General chair of Middleware 2018.
- Workshops/tutorials co-chair of EuroSys 2014 and Middleware 2016.
- Workshop co-chair of Middleware 2017.
- Steering committee member of FMEC, the International Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (check the FMEC 2018 edition!)
- Member of ISTIC's scientific committee.
- Member of the Advisory Board of the H2020 ARtwin and ACCORDION projects.
- Advisory editorial board member of Software: Practice and Experience.