I am the coordinator of the H2020 FogGuru project which aims at training the next generation of European Fog computing experts. We will design application resource management technologies, middlewares for easing the development of innovative applications and application blueprints, thereby providing tangible benefits to the European citizens.
Main research topics
HARNESS (2012-2016): heterogeneous cloud platforms
ConPaaS (2010-2017): integrated runtime for elastic cloud applications
Contrail (2010-2013): an open-source Cloud computing platform
CloudTPS (2008-2012): scalable transactional data stores
Resource provisioning (2008-2012) for complex Web applications in the Cloud
Decentralized Wikipedia (2008-2011): a better way to host Wikipedia
Stateful Container Migration in Geo-Distributed Environments. Paulo Souza Junior, Daniele Miorandi and Guillaume Pierre. In Proceedings of the IEEE CloudCom conference, Dec 2020.
An Experimental Evaluation of the Kubernetes Cluster Autoscaler in the Cloud. Mulugeta Ayalew Tamiru, Johan Tordsson, Erik Elmroth and Guillaume Pierre. In Proceedings of the IEEE CloudCom conference, Dec 2020.
Instability in Geo-Distributed Kubernetes Federation: Causes and Mitigation. Mulugeta Ayalew Tamiru, Guillaume Pierre, Johan Tordsson and Erik Elmroth. In Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Modelling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS), Nov 2020.
Voilà: Tail-Latency-Aware Fog Application Replicas Autoscaler. Ali Fahs, Guillaume Pierre and Erik Elmroth. In Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on Modelling, Analysis, and Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (MASCOTS), Nov 2020.
Tail-Latency-Aware Fog Application Replica Placement. Ali Fahs and Guillaume Pierre. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC), Dec 2020.
Current and former PhD students
Hamid Reza Arkian (since 2018, co-supervised with Erik Elmroth)
Mulugeta Ayalew Tamiru (since 2018, co-supervised with Erik Elmroth)
Mozhdeh Farhadi (since 2018, co-supervised with Daniele Miorandi)
Paulo Souza Junior (since 2018, co-supervised with Daniele Miorandi)
Ali Jawad Fahs (2017-2020, now at ActiveEon)
Arif Ahmed (2016-2020, now at Ericsson)
Anca Iordache (2013-2016, now at Docker)
Wei Zhou (2007-2012, now at Stella.ai)
Dejun Jiang (2007-2012, now at the Chinese Academy of Sciences)
Guido Urdaneta (2006-2010, co-supervised with Maarten van Steen, now at Google)
Michal Szymaniak (2002-2007, co-supervised with Maarten van Steen, now at InfraDepot)
Swaminathan Sivasubramanian (2002-2007, co-supervised with Maarten van Steen, now at Amazon Web Services)
Cloud and Network Infrastructures
I was the coordinator of the international Master's program on Cloud and Network Infrastructures from 2013 to 2020. This program – delivered entirely in English – prepares future professionals and researchers with an advanced course program on Cloud Computing and related technologies, together with a unique hands-on experience in technological innovation and entrepreneurship. The new coordinator is Cédric Tedeschi.
- 2021: TheWebConf 2021, IEEE ICFEC 2021, ACM Middleware 2021, IEEE JCC 2021.
- 2020: TheWebConf 2020 (co-chair of the Intelligent Systems and Infrastructure track), ALGOCLOUD 2020 (PC co-chair), IEEE IPDPS 2020, IEEE/ACM CCGrid 2020.
- 2019: TheWebConf 2019, IEEE/ACM CCGRID 2019, ACM/IFIP Middleware 2019, Conpas 2019, InterCloud-HPC 2019.
- 2018: IEEE ICDCS 2018 (vice-chair of the short paper track), ICACNI 2018, ISORC 2018, CloudCom 2018, UCC 2018, mF2C 2018.
- 2017: DADS track of SAC 2017, ISFEC 2017, ISPDC 2017, CloudCom 2017, HotWeb 2017.
- 2016: IC2E 2016, ICPP 2016, DADS track of SAC 2016, ComPas 2016 (PC chair of the systems track), CloudDP 2016 (co-chair), CloudCom 2016, ScalCom 2016.
- 2015: DADS track of SAC2015, IC2E 2015, AINA 2015, CSCS20-2015, CloudDP 2015, VTDC 2015, HotWeb 2015.
- 2014: Middleware 2014, IC2E 2014, DADS track of SAC 2014, MobileCloud 2014, ComPAS 2014, CloudDP 2014.
- 2013: CCGrid 2013, CFSE 2013, IC2E 2013, SAC 2013, DAIS 2013, CSCS19, CloudDP 2013, ISPDC 2013, ORMaCloud 2013, BigDataCloud 2013, DIHC 2013.
- 2012: EuroSys 2012, CloudCP 2012 (PC co-chair), DAIS 2012, GreenMetrics 2012, EIDWT 2012, BDMC 2012.
- 2011: CloudCP 2011 (PC co-chair), HotCloud 2011, DAIS 2011, CFSE 2011, Euro-Par 2011 (vice-chair of Topic 8: "Distributed Systems and Algorithms"), Cluster 2011, GreenMetrics 2011.
- 2010: MobiCloud 2010 , CloudComp 2010 , SRDS 2010 , ICCCN 2010 , DAIS 2010 , EuroSys 2010 shadow PC , WWW 2010, FeBID 2010, CoEMTA 2010.
- 2009: AAA-IDEA 2009, WWW 2009 (vice-chair of the 'Performance and Scalability' track), ICCCN 2009, DAMAP 2009, GreenMetrics 2009, USETIM 2009, Euro-Par 2009 (local chair of Topic 8: Distributed Systems and Algorithms).
- 2008: WWW 2008.
- Member of the ACM/IFIP Middleware Steering Committee.
- General chair of Middleware 2018.
- Workshops/tutorials co-chair of EuroSys 2014 and Middleware 2016.
- Workshop co-chair of Middleware 2017.
- Steering committee member of FMEC, the International Conference on Fog and Mobile Edge Computing (check the FMEC 2018 edition!)